Better Relationship Podcast Episode #021
Your Mid-Life Launch w/ Kingsley Grant
Show Notes: (by R. Pumphrey)
Midlife offers unique experiences like at no other point in your life. Many people evaluate their life and want to shift career or focus to create a lasting legacy. Kingsley Grant, The Mid Life Launch Coach helps people do just that! In fact, Kingsley transitioned from a 20+ year career to embark on a new adventure and follow his passion of bringing hope to his clients.
- Kingsley is a professional speaker, corporate trainer, licensed Marriage and Family therapist, Certified Life Coach and podcaster.
- Kingsley is the father of two young adults, a husband who just celebrated his 30th anniversary, a man of faith and an entrepreneur at heart.
- Kingsley teaches his 5 S.C.O.R.E Habits, which help professionals inside and outside organizations to have rock-star performance and mindset.
- Kingsley is also the author of “The Midlife Launch”, a book that grew out of his own experiences, as well as those of his clients, that are unique to this stage of life.
Keeping His Marriage Strong
- Kingsley and Susie agree that it all comes down to communication.
- He and his wife talk often and still plan and enjoy date nights.
- They work on understanding themselves and each other- embracing their differences.
- They focus on forgiveness.
- Their commitment to their marriage has helped them work through their struggles.
Challenges of Being an Entre-Spouse
- There were some difficult times due to Kingsley wife not understanding what he does.
- A lot of entrepreneurs blame their spouse for not being ‘on board’ but we might not be taking the time to explain properly what it is that we do.
- Kingsley believes it is his responsibility to talk about the issues with his wife and listen to her input.
- Kingsley put some business ideas on hold for the sake of his marriage because his marriage is the priority.
Entrepreneurship as Our “Other Love”
- Kingsley’s wife celebrates that his passion is being a “hope dispenser.”
- That passion makes him so happy that she actually gets the best of him, even when he’s caught up in his work.
- If he can tap into what makes her happy, then their happiness works in tandem.
“A Happy Wife, a Happy Life”
- His wife’s love language is quality time and affection and she loves to travel.
- Whenever Kingsley has an opportunity to bring her on a trip, it ‘fuels her tank’ of happiness.
- When Kingsley focuses on filling her love bank, the relationship gets the best of both of them, she is more open and encouraging of him.
Strategic Advice for a Successful Entrepreneurial Marriage
- We all want to be heard. Be a good listener.
- Kingsley teaches “The Triple A System” You don’t have to agree with your spouse, but you do need to Acknowledge them, and then you may need to Apologize and/ or Applaud them.
- An apology can go a very long way in validating your spouse’s feelings.
Resolving an Impasse with Your Spouse
- Recognize the context-there may be an underlying issue that need to be identified and discussed.
- Present an alternative route, to reach the same goal, but one both partners are comfortable with.
- Kingsley has trained himself not to ‘react’, but instead to take a time out before approaching a heated topic.
- Realize that you and your spouse are on the same team so that you can move toward forgiveness.
What Is His Wife’s Biggest Challenge?
- He doesn’t have one romantic bone in his body! She’s been working on him for 30 years because affection doesn’t come for him naturally.
His ‘Midlife Launch’
- Kingsley pivoted mid life when he realized he was done in his professional life and wanted something more.
- It was a struggle to walk away but he had to make that switch to fulfill his destiny.
- Don’t measure your jump by anyone else’s. The whole point is to jump in the water.
- Now he feels free and he’s excited about life because he can touch people through so many facets.
Conquering Midlife Fear
- People don’t regret what they tried-they regret what they never tried to do.
- He’s on a mission to tell people: Rob the graveyard-do not let it become any richer-with your unused talents and gifts.
- Look at what you’re afraid to do and try it anyway.
Kingsley’s book: The Mid Life Launch:
His Favorite Highlights
- The ‘Experience Advantage’-at the midlife stage, you have experience that others don’t have. Don’t waste it-no matter what they were, they made you who you are.
- The ‘Responsibility Dilemma’-there’s someone behind you that can learn from your experiences. If you’re not passing that on, you are responsible for holding back something of value that they could learn from.
- The ‘3 Lenses’- a lens to look back, a lens to look around and a lens to look forward-look at one or two things you can deposit in someone’s life that they would be so happy to learn, they would pay you money for it.
What’s His Superpower?
- He brings hope. It’s his ‘why’.
Where You Can Find Kingsley
His website: www.themidlifelaunch.com
Susie’s website: www.susiemiller.com
Susie’s book: www.listenlearnlovebook.com