Better Relationship Podcast Episode #036
Communication Increases Success with Diane Gardner
Show Notes: (by R. Pumphrey)
Diane Gardner, Your Tax Coach, shares how forming good communication skills within your team, with clients and with your spouse paves the way to greater success. As a tax coach and tax accountant, Diane offers her clients real-time strategies for effectively working with your team to improve your business environment as well as your client’s experience.
- Diane is an expert tax coach specializing in helping entrepreneurs dodge the tax bullet.
- She is a best-selling author and Quilly award winner.
- Diane is also the co-author of the best-selling books, ‘Stand Apart’ and ‘Why Didn’t My CPA Tell Me That?’, as well as three others.
- Diane is the creator of the nationwide ‘Get off the Wheel’ virtual mastermind and coaching program.
- She also leads the ‘Business Breakthrough’ mastermind group in her hometown in Ohio.
- Diane is very active in her community, church and local Chambers of Commerce.
- She enjoys spending time with her husband, Mike, daughter and grandson.
She Gets to be a Superhero
- A regular accountant prepare your taxes. Diane’s service as a tax coach offer her clients a master strategy from day one.
- Her service includes outlining an initial plan with her clients to save them from $5K-$50K.
- Diane meets with her clients throughout the year to keep projections on track.
- Diane’s team works with her to make it appear like an ‘effortless dance’ to her clients.
- Diane does the practical implementation for her clients once the plan is defined.
On Being The Entre-Spouse
- Mike, Diane’s husband, does not work with her in the business but he is amazingly supportive.
- They had frequent conversations pre-marriage so Mike knew up front about the demands of Diane being an entrepreneur.
- Diane believes that Mike’s support has been essential to her business growth.
- Mike always encourages and supports Diane, so she doesn’t have to feel guilty during the busy tax season.
- Diane admits she can be ‘off to the races’ about some decisions so Mike is a good balance for her.
Her Advice to Struggling Entre-Spouses
- Make sure you are on the same page about work ethic early on.
- Discuss how you plan to spend and invest money.
- Know the direction you are headed together as a couple and stay true to those goals.
- Be intentional about communicating with your spouse before making big money decisions.
- Be intentional about spending time with each other, away from business, after spike seasons.
- Be willing to totally unplug and rejuvenate with your spouse.
Working with Non-Entrepreneur Spouses
- Diane wishes that a psychology class was part of the accounting curriculum in college!
- In her work, Diane meets people and families with very different perspectives on money.
- So many times, the non-client spouse generally doesn’t have a good idea of what’s going on in the business.
- Diane has couples define what they are going to do with their tax savings.
- She tries to get definitive with them so she can get buy-in with both spouses.
Navigating Team Relationships
- Diane is deeply committed to their weekly staff meeting.
- Her team sends out a team-wide morning email each day, which includes one thing they’re thankful for and acts as a coordination strategy.
- Diane is willing to have ‘heart to heart’ talks about employees complementing each other’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Appreciating each other and having good communication lowers stress and encourages collaboration between coworkers.
- Her rule is ‘no complaining during tax season’.
- During busy times, employees write down their gripes for a post-tax season debriefing.
- Diane focuses on client appreciation, including an annual event, to create a good working relationship.
What is Her Superpower?
- Diane has a wealth of patience in dealing with clients. In fact, her business just continues to grow because of the client experience.
Where You Can Find Diane
Susie’s website: www.susiemiller.com
Susie’s book: www.listenlearnlovebook.com