Better Relationship Podcast Episode #035
Body Wisdom with Dr. Michele Summers Colon
Show Notes: (by R. Pumphrey)
Dr. Michele Summers Colon talks with Susie today about her upcoming book and program, Body Wisdom, that helps change women’s lives by focusing on their self-care. Choosing a healthy diet, consistent sleeping schedule, and mindfulness practices have turned Dr. Michele’s life around, as well the lives of her clients. Dr. Michele shares 10 specific habits to implement for improving your mindfulness and health for a better life and relationships.
Dr. Michele’s Bio
- Dr. Michele is a podiatrist, coach and motivational speaker offering online workshops.
- She is also the author of the upcoming book, ‘Body Wisdom-10 Weeks to Transformation’.
- Dr. Michele is the innovative mind behind ’34 Minutes’, a line of women’s shoes that are sexy and comfortable
- Dr. Michele is launching a 10-week health coaching program to improve daily habits to increase mindfulness and health.
Dr. Michele’s Journey and Inspiration
- Dr. Michele was experiencing health problems herself and started looking at solutions that are not taught in medical school.
- She studied Ayurveda and yoga, eventually becoming a certified yoga teacher.
- She feels much healthier today in her 40’s than she ever did in her 30’s
- Dr. Michele started using these methods with her clients, who had great shifts and success.
- Dr. Michele was inspired to create her program based on the improvements she saw with herself and her patients.
Body Wisdom for Women
- Women really struggle with self-esteem and body image issues.
- Many women get caught up in numbers on the scale, which goes against what they really want-to feel good.
- That causes yo-yo dieting and other habits that actually make us feel worse about ourselves.
- Dr. Michele’s program aims to improve habits incrementally on a whole-body level.
- Dr. Michele’s program is non-judgmental and encourages women to begin where they are.
How You Feel Today Starts with Yesterday
- Dr. Michele’s program starts with the basics-sleeping and eating schedules.
- The biggest shift she sees with a new schedule is that energy is so much better and clients are much more productive.
- Eating an earlier dinner lets our body use sleep time for rejuvenation, not digestion.
- Dr. Michele believes starting the day with a 2-minute intention can change your whole day.
- Self-massage with essential oils before bed has almost as many health benefits as meditation.
- Eat in a quiet, stress-free environment. No work, TV or difficult conversations.
- The program concludes with ‘easeful living’-having an attitude of living easily can impact all areas of our life.
The Cost of Not Taking Care of Ourselves
- Many women juggle so many activities that their self-care gets left behind.
- Neglecting ourselves causes health issues that we don’t address until it becomes a crisis.
- Lack of self-care also causes a drop in productivity, which snowballs into money and then relationship problems.
- We must make taking care of ourselves a priority.
Overcoming Resistance to Change
- “I don’t have time” really boils down to what you’re not doing and how it’s affecting you.
- Not making time or the changes now will impact you in the long run.
- How are you really functioning if you’re too tired? You have to look at it on a day-to-day basis.
- Changes probably won’t be immediate.
- You have to have faith in forming new habits to see the benefits down the road.
- The mind, body and spirit are all connected.
- When you’re taking the time to appreciate your body, you’re going to start feeling it in other areas as well.
Where You Can Find Dr. Michele Summers Colon
- Go to her ‘Work with Me’ page to schedule a free strategy session!
Susie’s website: www.susiemiller.com
Susie’s book: www.listenlearnlovebook.com